Monday, June 11, 2007

She won't get called 'he' in this outfit... well, at least I hope not...

My poor little Allie. If there is one thing she was not blessed with... it's hair. It's finally starting to get a little longer, and if we try really hard we can muster up two little pigtails. But for the most part... it's just not there.

The worst part is that several times a week she gets called 'he'. It doesn't matter that I dress her in pink, AND have a hair barrette in, AND have her nails painted, AND earrings, necklaces, bracelets, etc. She still gets 'Aren't you a cute little fella!' or 'He's so handsome!' or 'Hey Big Guy!' I guess I should be gracious for the complements... but she is starting to catch on now and I feel so bad for her.

Well, this week tops all! This lady mistakingly called her 'he' in while I was shopping and when I politely corrected her, she said 'Oh... well... are you always going to keep such a boyish haircut on her or will you let it grow long?' Who says that??? Who tells someone she doesn't even know that her daughter's haircut is boyish??? Like I'm trying to make her a boy or something! Well, luckily for her I can't seem to speak what what I really want to say. (Yep, it's because I am a total wimp) I just told her that we have worked for three long years growing that hair and we're pretty proud of it! I even managed to smile. Am I being over sensitive?

Oh well, maybe when she's twelve she'll be ready for her first haircut!

Well... Anyway... to the pictures. Allie loves to dress up. I took these pictures of her in her ballet dress up clothes and I think she looks like such a little princess! Where's that lady at now, huh?!?!?! I dare to say 'he'!!!

Wow... this turned in to a vent...






13 comments:

Andrea said...

Well my friend it seems we have opposite problems when it comes to our children's hair. David's grows, and grows, and grows (waaay to quickly I might add) and I've dished out a pretty penny getting it all chopped off so he can continue to look like a boy! He also hates getting his hair cut and throws a fit every time we go...last time I finally decided I'm going to take matters into my own hands and cut his hair myself...great pics of Allie...do you take a bad picture? Yeah, I didn't think so....

Oh and I'm also a wimp...but you already knew that ; )

Caron said...

LOL!! Andrea, you crack me up. I do remember a time when you spoke your mind... well...gestured it at least. Remember it??? I was so proud of you! David does have some gorgeous hair... or should I say...handsome hair!

Anonymous said...

ugh. people have a lot of nerve, don't they? i would have had a thing or two to say that old lady. i would have thrown down, man. well, i would have still tried to keep my dignity and all but i don't think you are being overly sensitive. that would have bothered me too. i am amazed at comments that people will make. like at the pool last week, my neighbor goes to me, "Oh,Katie, what's wrong with you? You have broken out all over your face!!!" and i struggle with adult acne and it really bothers me and i'm like, well, damn!! she acted like i was dying from a disease! i just would never say certain things.
anyways, your daughter is gorgeous. when i was a kid, everyone thought i was a boy-but that was mostly becuz my mom was obsessed with dressing me in powder blue leisure suits and chooosing to cut my hair waaay short.
dang, sorry to go on like this. but again, your pictures are awesome and Allie is adorable! :)

Andrea said...

ahh yes, not one of my finer moment in life...all over some sage stuffing and a waiters nose in my plate...not worth the wrath of Mrs. Maness when we got back home ; )

Caron said...

Ahhh yes... Mrs Maness. She was a character all her own. For what it's worth... I was still proud of you! That lady we went with TOTALLY overreacted!! Whatta freak!

Angela said...

Some people can be so rude even if they think that they are not. I also have a hard time saying what I want at a given time. I am afraid I will hurt someones feelings. Those photos are gorgeous. I really like the last one.

Tara said...

People are rude. That woman will get it back from someone else. I'm a wimp too. You're not oversensitive either... people tell me all the time how big Evan is and he's right on the average. I want to say, "he's perfect, you're the big one." that wouldn't go over well though.

Caron said...

Thanks everyone! I was starting to question if I was just too sensitive. But hey, it's my kid, man!! I have to be a little protective! Hey Tara, just curious... how big is Evan? Wyatt is a big baby too. Evan sure looks perfect to me!!!

Chris said...

I checked you out thru Tara's blog. Your kids are adorable. Those pics are gorgeous. I don't think you're being too sensitive either. What a rude thing to say. People just don't think, I swear. I can't believe that about Katie's neighbor either. SHEESH!
Nice to meet ya. I like your blog name as well...

Katy S. said...

I am right there with you on the gender ID of the kids. My little man has a head full of hair. Dark and now curly hair. I will have him in all blue and the Babies R Us Bib that says "I AM NOT A GIRL" and he still gets called a girl. I love to correct them and make them feel bad!!!

Tara said...

Caron - he was 16 lbs at 4 months and that was 50% but he was 70-90% for height (maybe 25.75). We go back on Monday so I will know his exact weight then.

Anonymous said...

Caron- people used to tell me when i was pregs that i must be having triplets because i was such a fat a$$. nice, eh? my son was almost 10 lbs. at birth and now at 3 is off the charts in height, weight, and ESPECIALLY his head. He's only 3 but he looks 5 so people expect him to act better, you know? it's frustrating.

The Partins said...

Allie has NOTHING to worry about....she has the EXACT same hair I had. I wore blankets on my head and pretended to have hair and now I can't keep a short hair cut for my life (even worse on prenatals). So form one short haired princess to another... "Hair is in your future!!!" And the next time someone asks why you cut it so short say "It gives rude people something to ask me about." haha.